Friday 6 March 2009

Making A PMC / Silver Clay Leaf

Use your Slip Pot to Create a Unique Leaf Pendant
1) Pop into the garden & pick a fresh leaf (2-3cm, not hairy). It's the back of the leaf that gets painted, so check that has lots of lovely veiny texture.
2) Use a small (cheap) paintbrush to apply a thin layer of paste to the underside of the leaf.
3) Let it dry slowly (e.g. overnight)
4) Apply additional layers of paste and repeat the drying process until you have made up at least 5 layers of paste (2-3mm thick).
5) Make a hanging bail by rolling and cutting out a small rectangle of PMC3.Wrap this rectangle around an oiled wooden skewer or small straw. Partially dry then remove the skewer/straw & let it finish drying. (Alternatively use a purchased fine silver "poke in" loop & attach a jump ring after)
6) Attach bail to the back of the pendant, using a little more paste/slip as "glue".
7) Torch or Kiln Fire the pendant (the leaf will burn away). Don't worry of there's more smoke than usual (it's the leaf burning away)
8) Brush the "white" off with your steel/brass brush.
9) Tumble & Polish as normal
10) Enjoy the compliments your new pendant is getting :)

Nic xx

11 comments:

  1. This is one that I definitely want to have a go at! Thanks for posting - great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo and I'm imagining if you popped a little "blob" of silver clay on the top of the leaf before firing it would give you an anchor point for a polymerclay ladybird, or a little tree frog :)
    Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh so many ideas - too little time! lol! Thank you for all your encouragement!
    Pippa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, I have always wanted to do this and now even more so!
    Right, I am off to the garden now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. can anyone tell me why my leaves painted with PMC slip are curling up after firing? I painted about 10 coats. Maybe I need to let them dry more thoroughly between coats?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kiln firing or torch firing?
    If torch (or hob) then you might need to turn them during firing.
    In a kiln they tend to naturally want to lie flat
    Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am firing in a kiln. I wonder why they are NOT wanted to lie flat. hmmmm. Thanks for respoding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fire at 850 degrees celcius. The only other reason I can think of is if the coating is thicker in some places (the shrinkage would then make it curl)
    nic x

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHIREEN MCCAMBRIDGE9 April 2010 at 21:57

    Hi I'm want to buy a kiln can you tell me which

    one to start off with as I've save up my

    pennies but can't afford a huge amount

    ta t ta Shireen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an absolute inspiration, I love it and can't wait to get started!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why not just roll out a 3mm and impress the leaf?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love reading your questions & hearing what you think! It's a great way for me to find and visit your blog too :)

You might like reading these too:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin